Mar 28, 2011

“If We Want Change, We Have to Make It Happen”

 Burma's pro-democracy leader and Nobel Peace Prize laureate Aung San
suu Kyi spoke to Irrawaddy editor Aung Zaw soon after her release from house arrest on Nov. 13. In this exclusive interview, she discussed her position on the military regime, her future political activities and her views on the political situation in Burma after the Nov. 7 election. She also emphasized the need for
her supporters to continue working towards the goal of achieving democracy, and urged young Burmese in particular to remain actively engaged in politics. 
Question: You are now free after seven years of house arrest. Over the past few days, you've had a chance to speak to the people and see the outside world. What do you think has changed?
Answer: The first thing I noticed was that there were many more young people in the crowd that welcomed me. Many of them were using cell phones. They were taking photographs with their phones, which I had never experienced before. There was no such thing ten years ago, but it has become quite widespread these days. I think there are more communication lines than before. It is important.
I don't see much significant change in the city. Perhaps that's because I haven't been to many parts of the city, since I am not the kind of person who is always on the street. There is not much difference.
Q: Are the Burmese people poorer now than before?
A: They looked poor, but those who came to greet me and give their support were very happy and smiling. I am very thankful to them. I could really feel their warmth.
Q: Some say your release is just a matter of transferring you from a smaller prison to a bigger one. Do you feel that way?
A: I don't see it that way. I always consider myself free because my mind is free. With my own ideology and beliefs, I am walking on the path that I have chosen. I have never felt that I wasn't free. Even when I was officially released, I felt the same—I didn't feel that I was not free before. Of course, I now have much more work to do. I have been able to see and feel the changes in person. In fact, my inner mind remains the same.
Q: Many people say your release one week after the election was just an attempt by the military regime to divert people's attention from the polls. What do you think about that?
A: I can't say exactly. It's possible. Since the election is over now, people don't need to focus on it anymore. That's why they are paying more attention to me. [Laughs]
Q: Soon after your release, you said you wanted to meet with the leaders of the military regime to help bring about national reconciliation in the country. However, the junta leaders don't seem to want to talk to you. Since you first entered Burmese politics in 1988, the regime has repeatedly stated that it has never wanted your presence. It has been 22 years now. Why do you think they still don't want to speak with you, even though you have offered dialogue with them on numerous occasions.
A: I think we have a different understanding of the main purpose of dialogue and its real meaning and essence. In my opinion, dialogue is not a debate to make one side lose and the other win. One side says what it wants, and so does the other. If there are disagreements, a negotiation should be carried out. Dialogue must be a win-win situation for both parties. I have said this to them before, but they don't seem to understand it. I am not sure if they don't understand it or if they don't believe it. Perhaps its because in the military, there is no such thing as a negotiated settlement.

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP